I suggest you ...

Track Customers When They Close

It's not useful to track customers when at the first touch, which is the way it's done now. Tracking them when they close gives you a month to month snapshot of how you're doing in sales. Granted, there's a sales cycle that could be several months, but first touch doesn't help you understand how sales are progressing.

333 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John McTigueJohn McTigue shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Kim OwensKim Owens shared a merged idea: Custom Source Reporting for Customers by Month of Conversion  ·   · 
    pending  ·  HubSpotterAdminHubSpotter (Admin, HubSpot) responded  · 

Hey Everyone, your comments around this suggestion are great! We are going to be doing some more user testing around this idea as we consider building it in to HubSpot. If any of you would like to contribute to that effort please reach out to me! -Nate nciruolo@hubspot.com

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff ZabelJeff Zabel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a follow up to my post below, I wanted to update it and let everyone know that DataHero now supports Hubspot imports and specifically the ability to report on closing date. You can easily create cohorts based on close date (e.g. time & perecent closed from first contact, MQL or SQL to closed), create custom reports on when a customer is closed, etc. You can sign up free at https://datahero.com to give it a try or learn more from our blog post on the integration: https://datahero.com/blog/2014/09/02/customize-hubspot-analytics-datahero/ or in general: https://datahero.com/connections/hubspot/. Feedback always is of course welcome!

• Jeff ZabelJeff Zabel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on the responses here I am hoping to help. We have a beta implementation of an integration with Hubspot for customized reporting possibilities and are looking for people interested to give it a try before we release it publicly. I figured people looking at this post would hopefully be interested to give it a try? It allows you to directly import your Hubspot data and I think may help solve the track customers when they close problem with Hubspot. If you store this information in Hubspot, you can pull it in and create reports on time to close, cohorts, etc. We also have the possibility to merge or combine your Hubspot data with data in other systems like Salesforce, custom spreadsheets, etc to allow you to report across both systems. (https://datahero.com/features/) Please reach out directly if you are interested in giving the beta a try before we release it publicly as we are looking for feedback on this use case specifically. To join the beta, please contact: jeff at datahero.com. Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I would love to be able to see my customer acquisition to my goals. The fact that it shows them converting on the first touch date messes everything up and makes the goals feature on the dashboard completely useless.

• Justin BrookeJustin Brooke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To any developers reading this, we've developed our own solution for this between our shopping cart and Hubspot.

If giving you the code helps speed this along, I'll gladly give it to Hubspot.

I completely agree! The option to track customers in the month they close as customers should be standard or at least an option.

• Jeremi KarnellJeremi Karnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It's not that helpful to show a chart on the dashboard of new customers while at the same time adding new customers (that came in that month) to older months when they established first touch. I think there should be a toggle.

• Nancy GrossbartNancy Grossbart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, have been asking Hubspot for this for several years. I spoke to several "sources" product managers personally and, at one point, they actually promised me it was coming. When I called to say "what's up" they told me it wasn't going to happen. I have never been able to understand why we can't report it both ways.

• Lance CumminsLance Cummins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been my chief gripe with HubSpot reporting. Give me the option to show customers either way, and I'll be as happy as a clam. (I have no idea why we think clams are happy.)

I've had this conversation multiple times with HubSpot on at least giving us the option to change how it's tracked. Apparently the reason they track it in the month that was first touch is because that's when your marketing actually "touched" them and brought them in as a lead. I can understand that but agree with everyone else that it makes more sense to track it in the month it closes. Curious how a sales rep would be able to reach their monthly quotas if they closed a lead this month that is going to report for 6 months ago!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base