I suggest you ...

Make it easier to reuse template content

I've found creating templates incredible limiting when it comes to building re-usable sections.

We wanted our designer to build content groupings that we could save in a repository and then reuse as and when we wanted to add new sections to the website.

Our thought process was to create several global groups that housed different column layouts and those columns be set to flexible columns. Then when we want to add a new section we simple pull in the global content group to our template. Save the template and then be able to add any module at the page editing level.

However Hubspot does not allow for Global Groups to contain Flexible columns.

So there is a ton of work that we have to redo. Every time we want to change.

Also you really should make a option that allows you to make a group group break out into it's component parts as this would potentially be a type of work around.

If you would like me to show you in greater detail I'd be happy to jump on a call and show you our layout in a screenshare.

88 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Crystal BallCrystal Ball shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EdEd shared a merged idea: Ability to create Dynamic Blocks  ·   · 
    in development  ·  HubSpotterAdminHubSpotter (Admin, HubSpot) responded  · 

We should have Custom Modules in beta some time this week. This will allow designers to build reusable modules of their own design and construction. Additionally custom modules will work in flexible columns. Global groups currently do work in global groups. We had a short term bug preventing this. It has been resolved.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • erik lopezerik lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this clone feature! I have wasted too many hours developing recurring modules that could have easily been fixed by doing something like this.

Thanks

• Gareth JonesGareth Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the posts below, repetitive tasks such as creating product containers are even more repetitive than need be because they can't be cloned effectively, and need to be re-created. Very much looking forward to this improvement which will vastly improve development speed using the template builder.

• Josh AmesJosh Ames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here as well and say that I don't think having custom modules is the direction people are looking for (at least not myself). It's usually not something that I need to use on a regular basis, thus it seems pointless to clutter up my custom modules folder with unnecessary modules. I'd rather just click a simple copy and paste option.

• ErikErik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wanted to check in on this. The reply from hubspot says 'in beta some time this week' and it's a few weeks later, was curious if there was any progress?

• Crystal BallCrystal Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree duplicating a module with all it's css (classes and inline) would be useful and all this information is lost when making a local copy of a global group.

• Crystal BallCrystal Ball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, thanks for the update. Not sure I understand the last part. Global groups currently do work in Global Groups? Do you mean Flexible Columns will work in Global Groups?

• Michael SimsMichael Sims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you could simply copy a module group, with the .css declarations and labels and paste it above or below the cloned module. Having a repository would be great, but the copy paste would be my first wish. Thanks.

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is awesome to hear, will this be fully compatible with hand coding as well?

• Chris BarryChris Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This may be part of this idea, or may be a separate one: I'd like to be able to duplicate a module right in the template editor. It comes up fairly often that I want to have a few identical modules on the same page, and if they're complex with inline styling and stuff like that, I'll love a single click "create a copy" option.

• Trevor HatfieldTrevor Hatfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just came across the same problem of ungrouping a global group. Seems like it should be simple rather then having to recreate modules again. And if there is a solution already it isn't obvious.

Feedback and Knowledge Base