I suggest you ...

Conditional checks within workflow steps

It would be fantastic if workflows allowed more logic within the structure of the flow itself.

For example, if I wanted to use a single workflow to feed a lead a set of content one piece at a time, but also wanted to make sure they were not sent something they had downloaded on their own time (and out of sequence).

Having a way to add a NOT IF condition to each action step in the workflow would be great.

Also, having ALL user actions raise flags that can be used as NOT IF conditions would be incredibly useful.

Perhaps this is possible with some VERY creative uses of suppression lists and starting conditions - if so, I cannot figure out how to make it happen.

167 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ian MarquisIan Marquis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VerityVerity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been pending for nearly a year now, is this update likely to get picked up? It still causes huge problems with workflow creation. Please, please, please look at this. It is so frustrating to have to create 8 workflows rather than one. Pretty please HubSpot...If you add the functionality to add conditions to each workflow step you will have some very happy marketeers!

• Patrick BradshawPatrick Bradshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add this of so many reasons. I would love to have one workflow for my nurture and data management workflows.

I should be able to go if Country equals US set contact property value AMER, then if if doesn't meet that criteria go to the next one If country equals, UK set contact property ROW.

This same logic would allow for people to create more dynamic lead nurtures by allowing people to say Send/Don't Send email if X and then.

The lack of lack of sophistication of how HubSpot workflows function has been my biggest frustration having moved over from Marketo.

• Alan JohnsonAlan Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Delivering a full, logic-driven workflow tool would close one of Hubspots big weaknesses when comparing against Eloqua.

I think the "don't send this email twice" condition should be at an email level, that defaults to true unless a user unchecks the flag and removes that particular safeguard.

However, the reliance on smart lists to control workflows introduces significant inefficiencies resulting from the time needed to build multiple lists to drive actions throughout the workflow. Best to be able to drive each step on the basis of an action, decision or pause.

• Josh AmesJosh Ames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the screenshot that Margo shared from Pardot. Makes it VERY easy to see what should happen during each step of the workflow. Would love to see something similar implemented so we can have more control over our workflows.

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great. It looks so stupid, if you send a prospect 2 times the same offer. They think: Thats a robot. And they're gone...

• VerityVerity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please!!! - Just used all my votes

I have been trying to set this up -

Offer Content A (unless lead has already downloaded)
        Delay 7 days - Offer Content B (unless lead has already downloaded)
        Delay 7 days - Offer Content C (unless lead has already downloaded)
        Delay 7 days - Offer Content D (unless lead has already downloaded)
        Delay 7 days - Offer Content E (unless lead has already downloaded)
        Delay 7 days - Offer Content F (unless lead has already downloaded)

Simple you would think?.... Wrong.

Currently I can only include one goal/exclusion list which means as soon as my lead reaches a piece of content he has already downloaded he is removed and then isn't offered any further content.

I have had to come up with a NIGHTMARE work around to achieve this - 3 workflows, 3 lists, 2 emails and 2 bespoke contact properties PER workflow stage!

Please help!!!

• kevinkevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you may want to skip a step if someone downloaded it from another landing page and just move them on makes perfect sense. Other software does this.

• Kelly CooperKelly Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just used all my votes for this idea - conditional logic in workflows is very much needed. Thank you!

• Kathleen BoothKathleen Booth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! There is nothing more annoying than getting the same piece of content multiple times. We include certain pieces of premium content in multiple workflows, so I agree 100% that it would be nice to be able to SKIP that step if someone has already downloaded it (rather than stop the workflow altogether).

• Jamieson ChristianJamieson Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see more robust workflows as well, for different reasons. We design lead nurturing campaigns that start off with broad targeting and split into two or more hyper-targeted lines of communication partway through. I would prefer to manage such a campaign with one workflow that supports branching. Instead, I have to (1) create a workflow for the broad targeted messaging, (2) create a static "staging" list to feed workflow members into as they reach the branch, (3) create two or more smart lists to segment the staging list, and (4) create a separate workflow for each branch, fed by the respective smart lists. ...Ugh.

An example of great workflow control can be found in the Qualtrics survey platform. Their "Survey Flow" provides high-level control over the presentation of entire sections of a survey, beyond the question-level display logic. The branching is incredibly easy to use and very robust. I would drool if HubSpot rolled out a similar type of interface.

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great, not to completely remove someone from a workflow, who downloaded a specific content piece. It would be great it just this one mail/content would be skipped. Like "if contact already downloaded xy then skip this workflow step and execute the next one"

• HubSpotterAdminHubSpotter (Admin, HubSpot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Melinda,

You can currently suppress contacts exactly as they move forward and take an action that moves them along your sales funnel. When you use Lists, they will pick up new contacts who meet their criteria on an ongoing basis.

Thanks,
        Maggie

• Melinda KolkMelinda Kolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree! If the entire point of a workflow is to move someone through your marketing funnel, suppressing them EXACTLY when they do so would be much more helpful.

• HubSpotterAdminHubSpotter (Admin, HubSpot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the suggestion, Ian! Right now, you can use suppression lists (and Goal Lists if you are in the beta program) to exclude specific contacts from an entire workflow. In your idea, you are suggesting that we suppress contacts from a specific step as opposed to the entire workflow - is that correct?

Feedback and Knowledge Base