I suggest you ...

More robust test email functionality

Currently, the test email functionality is a bit cumbersome.

1) you can only send one version at a time - either plain text or HTML. It would be much easier if we have the options to check which ones we want - or all, so we don't have to send multiple tests.

2) Ability to have pre-populated test list. Currently, we need to enter each address manually. If we could select a seed list or test list, that would be much easier so we can test in the different email providers (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc).

Thank you!

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MBAcceptedMBAccepted shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChristopherChristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the #2 in this idea, YES PLEASE!!! I was just going to suggest having the option to create standard test groups lists (or seed lists) to help save time and for accuracy. Also, I'd like to be able to take that test group and set things up so that test group always receives the final sent email as well so we all know exactly when the email deploys, but there's work around for that. I can just set up the emails and add them to the list each time. Still, maybe list an option toggle or button on the test page to read something like "Send final email to final test group" or something like that. Thank you.

• wendy annawendy anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
      • MBAcceptedMBAccepted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tom

Thanks for your feedback. In our previous email platform, we were able to successfully send a test email for HTML and Plain Text without any of the emails getting lost or marked as spam. Perhaps you might want to speak with Elena Hekiman regarding how the functionality worked. On thing that may be an option is if from the back-end, the selection would send 2 separate emails. ie - the same way that you have it set up to send 2 emails now, by clicking those options for plain text or HTML, that would trigger both <separate> emails to go out, the same way they go out separately now. However, from the user end, it's much simpler.

Additionally, since we do still have to factor in #2 - that is, typing in each email separately and not having the ability to use a seed list for testing, as someone who is testing every single email before it goes out, this just doubles the time it takes to test every email.

We have a lot of faith in you guys and are sure you'll be able to figure out something soon! Looking forward to hearing about it when it comes out!

• Tom MonaghanTom Monaghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm Tom Monaghan and I'm the Product Manager for Email at HubSpot. #1 is in my world, so I'll speak to that.

The default test email that we send is multipart (HTML and plain text in the same message), just like all real emails we send. We offer the option to send just the plaintext version as many people have trouble viewing this version alone because many new email clients make it pretty difficult to view the plaintext version only.

Sending preview / test emails is a big challenge for those of us who spend their days (and nights) working on deliverability. It turns out folks can send a LOT of tests to themselves when trying to get their emails just right. After a while, even the most lenient server can start question the validity of all these nearly identical emails.

We used to send the HTML and plaintext version as two separate emails every time, but this caused a high percentage of emails to not be delivered as it looked like two copies of the exact same message arriving at the recipient's mail server at exactly the same time. Spam filters really didn't like that and many messages were going missing. We've seen a large decrease in the number of messages disappearing since we made this change so it'll likely stay that way it is until we see a compelling user experience reason that can trump the deliverability challenges of sending preview / test emails.

Feedback and Knowledge Base