I suggest you ...

Send alert if your form submission email address becomes blacklisted

Currently, if Hubspot sends a form submission to an email address (as specified in the form handler), and that email address bounces the email, Hubspot silently blacklists the email address and you will not receive submissions to that email address anymore.

There are a few problems with this:

1. Email on occasional will bounce. In our case, we had multiple user accounts that receive email from the same address, and one of them happened to be full, so Hubspot received a bounced email, even though the rest of our staff were receiving emails fine. Can't see how to absolutely prevent this from happening on our end... stuff like full mailboxes are always going to happen at some point.

2. Hubspot silently blacklists your email. You won't know when it happens; you either have to be aware that email has been bouncing or you have to go into your leads and see if there are any new form submissions that you haven't gotten email for. In our case, we got blacklisted at the very low part of our season. We are not doing lead generation at this time of year. Not getting a form submission for a couple of weeks is normal. We didn't catch that we were blacklisted until 3 weeks after it happened, and in that time there were 4 or so four submissions that we missed.

3. Hubspot requires that you contact support to get your email off the blacklist. In addition, support had me initially try adding success@hubspot.com to the safe send list on our end, but email is controlled by our ISP and I'm not sure if they'd even know what to do (and they take a long to respond... but that's a separate issue).

Solution: At a minimum, it would be nice for at least an alert to be sent to the Hubspot admin account so they are aware that an email address is being blacklisted. Second, not sure why you have to go through hoops to get an email off the blacklist... why not have a verification email sent out that can check that the email is working again?

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike RostkowskiMike Rostkowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Heather M.Heather M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, by far, has been my biggest issue with HubSpot. My email address has been added to the blacklist so many times I have lost count and it is EXTREMELY frustrating. Each time I have to call support (sometimes waiting on hold for as long as 30 minutes) to have my email address removed from the blacklist. I've actually called support for this issue so many times that I was finally given contact information for someone in the email department so I don't have to wait on hold. This has alleviated some frustration; however, it doesn't change the fact that there may be lead notification emails going unanswered.

I have added all the HubSpot email addresses and domains to our email white list (which support told me would solve the issue). They also suggested adding HubSpot IP addresses to our white list; however, out IT department said that isn't possible. I also unsubscribed from all the daily/weekly/monthly HubSpot emails, hoping that would help the issue. Yet, after all of these efforts, I still have this problem.

I would like to see HubSpot fix this issue so it just doesn't happen anymore. However, I agree with this posting that, at the very least, the admin should be notified when any HubSpot user emails are added to the blacklist so we can contact HubSpot to have them un-bounced; however, how do I know I will even be able to receive that notification email???

I would give this issue all of my votes if I could. What use is marketing automation, if leads are going unanswered? Please help!!

• SamanthaSamantha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just experienced a situation where a prospect's email was blacklisted on HubSpot because the email bounced from a different HubSpot domain. This needs to be dealt and some sort of notification needs to be sent out when an email is deemed "ineligible" because of another company's email bouncing. It shouldn't affect our email deliverability and at the very least we should be notified when this has happened. In this case the prospect was a legitimate one who has been in contact with us and came back to visit our site and download some of our resources. If they don't receive these resources, especially after being in contact with us, we could potentially lose sales.

• Mr. MichaelangeloMr. Michaelangelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is a big issue. Marketing Automation scares me sometimes because we are at the mercy of the service provider. We had an active lead that was not receiving content that they requested because their email was silently blacklisted from another HubSpot user that had sent them content.

Obviously this is a big problem. I'm going to try to get more people behind this so a fix can come ASAP.

• Barry KleinBarry Klein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just gone through this problem I whole heartedly endorse this suggestion. Silently stopping email flow is unacceptable and it isn't beyond the realm of reason that a given email could fail for a while. An automatic test and restart makes sense or a simple phone call would make sense to make the client aware of the problem. Receiving these emails is mission critical!

Feedback and Knowledge Base