I suggest you ...

Merge or link multiple lead records for same person

Occasionally, we will encounter a lead who receives an lead nurturing email or other email through Hubspot who returns to the site only to complete a new form using a different email address. Now we have an additional lead record for the same person.

It'd be nice to have a way of linking these or consolidating the records so that we don't miss some important details about a particular lead - such as which forms they've completed.

212 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brent CannonBrent Cannon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Erika YigzawErika Yigzaw shared a merged idea: Have a way to manually merge duplicate profiles where someone uses a different email address  ·   · 
    ChristineChristine shared a merged idea: merge contacts  ·   · 

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JamieJamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like this is very important. Ideally this could be combined with the ability that have multiple email addresses for the same person. I understand that I can add a custom field to capture these, but it would be very helpful to have this function natively. e.g. be recognized on forms, not send duplicate emails, etc .... Also this would stop re-duplication of the contact if they use the secondary email address at a later time.

• JakeJake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

""Hello John, we received a request to add "john.doe@yahoo.com" to your account. If that was not done by you, please click the link below, if this is alright, please ignore this email".
        I don't think this would be well received or work effectively. I think if there was a screen where you could see contacts that are being suggested as Merge candidates and make the choice to merge them that could work. Or if the criteria were stringent enough an auto-merge could be done without approval. Either of those could work. I think asking the person who is filling out the form to verify is not the way to go. JMHO

• James TarinJames Tarin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if there was an automatic component to it, manual merge capability would still be required, since it is possible that contacts/leads may be created through the API

• Johannes Erik JungJohannes Erik Jung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be automatic somehow. One sollution would be:
        -when a new Lead email comes in, check if that name and surname is already in use
        -if it is already in use, check if it is from the same city/state
        -if the information matches, have a pop-up that says "hello, are you the same John Doe from john.doe@gmail.com?".
        -If the customer answers "yes", finish the form process and send him an email to "john.doe@gmail.com" saying something like:
        "Hello John, we received a request to add "john.doe@yahoo.com" to your account. If that was not done by you, please click the link below, if this is alright, please ignore this email".

• James TarinJames Tarin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important when you have Hubspot linked to your CRM. I can merge records in Sugar, and I guess they are going to be re-created if both still exist in Hubspot.

• Daniel D'AlonzoDaniel D'Alonzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Phil - I understand your frustration, but not to worry. Even though this problem has more to do with the apps you're using to collect leads, HubSpot is looking into this to find the best way to help everyone. HubSpot always comes through for their clients...that's why they're #1 at what they do.

One thing to think about is how you collect new leads. HubSpot uses the email address as the syncing point. The problem may be more with applications being used rather than HubSpot itself.

• Phil DrummondPhil Drummond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bizarre it looks like HubSpot can merge Ideas together, BUT it looks like they can't follow through on this frequently requested idea.
        My problem is that HubSpot is now punching through multiple new Leads to Salesforce because we cannot merge Contacts in HubSpot.
        Salesforce can copy with this very easily by merging Leads with Leads, Contacts with Contacts or merging Lead data into existing contacts on conversion.
        This feature is urgently required.

• Melinda KolkMelinda Kolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one contact with 4 entries, all because of a typo in a long address! This would be really helpful!

• Daniel D'AlonzoDaniel D'Alonzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had this issue occur...I can't find any instruction on how to merge the two contacts.

It's crucial that we keep the data from both listings (ie: pages viewed, organic search terms to find the site, etc) - without this information combined into one contact we can't utilize HubSpot to its maximum potential.

First of all, HubSpot is AWESOME. Second of all, PLEASE HELP!

• HansenHansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My issue occurred when I had an existing contact in Salesforce who was originally imported manually into HS returned organically to our site, filled out another form, and used a different email address. Now he is both a "lead" and "contact" in Salesforce which I cannot merge there or on HS side of things. I exported the old contacts HS data, imported it using the new (actual) email address, and then thought the sync to Salesforce would work but it still did not. We have several duplicates like this and I need a solution.

Thanks!

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful for us. We have a contact that's registerest as separate entries because they used a different email address on separate visits.

• Phil DrummondPhil Drummond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a really useful feature to merge multiple contacts into a single record (like what you can do in Salesforce)

• Joanna ButlerJoanna Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really help us too! Hope this gets scheduled soon - I can see it's been waiting since March 30th already...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base