I suggest you ...

Create CMS Test or Sandbox Area

It is very dangerous practice to be making changes in the editor that are immediately going live once they are saved. Please create a test region for the CMS editor so we can do our changes, see how they look and/or fix mistakes (spelling, font, blowing up pictures). Once we are all set, then hit a Publish button that will upload the files to production. It looks unprofessional when a client or visitor sees a WIP page in production. Thanks.

133 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jerry BurnsJerry Burns shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Chad PierceChad Pierce shared a merged idea: Create a developer mode that allows changes to the site to not have to be made live..  ·   · 
    Conni EversullConni Eversull shared a merged idea: Set up a 'sandbox' for testing updates to pages  ·   · 

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChristineChristine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently had this problem with a website redesign. Our roundabout way of addressing this issue was cloning the CSS file and every single template.

• Chris DavisChris Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? We have multiple clients that are already on the COS and want to do completely new website designs.

• Gregg MakuchGregg Makuch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - this is critical to assuage UI / UX concerns, especially on any changes that are a bit more than cosmetic.

• VoldbyVoldby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only a great suggestion but also important one.
        We are continuously making minor but significant improvement to our blog, and design and develop on the live site is far from perfect.
        If I could, I would have giving more than 3 votes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Big issue with this not being in existent. First, I've noticed that changes to pages on the COS after hitting just "Save" go live when you should have to push "Update". Second, once someone is on the COS, if they wanted to update their website design, currently I don't know of a way to do that without things being live right away. Hopefully this will be rolled out SOON!

• LiseLise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been implemented yet? This is a huge issue if not, thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. Having done websites and web applications for almost 20 years, I am amazed that Hubspot does not offer any way to implement a site redesign without the work-in-progress being viewable to users of my client's website. This is a serious oversight that must be addressed if hubspot hopes to be a widespread CMS/COS solution.

• Joe N.Joe N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Ellie, I stumbled upon this forum while looking for an answer to the same question. To date, there is no true QA environment for clients looking to redesign an entire marketing site is there?

• Conni EversullConni Eversull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've taken my two votes off this idea and moved them to the one titled "Create CMS test or Sandbox Area". Still something I'd like to see!

This is truly needed. It seems whenever I'm working on a page, that someone will see it before I've had a chance to fix an error. Not a great thing to happen when our company is a proofreading company. I know I can make a copy of a page and make it not visible to the public. But that doesn't allow for testing out new layouts, templates, colors, etc. Really need to be able to work on some new ideas without changing the look of the entire website.

• BradBrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a publishing feature would be very useful, especially during significant changes that may require an approval or review process. This could be a much more powerful tool if it was combined with a mechanism to schedule publishing.

• Ellie MirmanAdminEllie Mirman (Customer Research, HubSpot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jerry - I've heard something similar from our partners who redesign on the HubSpot CMS. They want to test out a new design before applying it to the live website.

However it sounds like you want the ability to create draft content (like text, images, etc.) before publishing to a live page - is that right?

(In the meantime, I recommend either keeping pages not viewable by public while you edit them, or creating test pages that are not viewable by public to create content modules that you then copy and paste to the live page.)

That is the problem with this site -- only so many votes -- and if those things you want haven't happened, your votes are 'busy'. Only way around it I've found is to go back and try to un-vote on some things I've previously voted for.

• Bruce BrienBruce Brien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea and would certainly be valuable for us. Unfortunately, I am out of votes. When do we get more?

• Rick BurnesRick Burnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got it. Thanks for explaining, guys. That makes sense, so I'll re-open this ticket. That said, it's not going to be a top priority right now since (a) it's low on the list here, and (b) we have a work-around (even if it's not ideal).

Rick: I agree with jmccaffrey that this is more of a workaround than a solution. I am aware of the ability to unselect 'viewable by public." I do this quite often while I'm working on a new page. However this does not, to my knowledge, allow me to make changes to the layout, colors, etc., of my site without affecting the look of our live website. This is why I'd like to be able to have a place where I can 'play' with new looks, show it to my bosses, before it goes live on our site. This is what I'm really looking for. Thanks for the update.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base