I suggest you ...

Allow custom 404 pages

It would be great if we could create custom 404 pages - I don't like missing the opportunity to interact with users, especially if I've just messed them up with a missing page.

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric JacksonEric Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rachel DeckerAdminRachel Decker (User Experience Manager, HubSpot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sarah-
        COS stands for Content Optimization System and will replace the current HubSpot CMS. Obviously this is going to be a large change with a lot of moving parts, taking into account migrating customers from the current CMS to the new COS. This is what we are focusing on now and in 2013.

We are rolling it out the COS in parts at the moment. Right now the COS (or HubSpot 3) Landing Pages are in beta, soon to be followed by the COS Blog and finally the entire Website COS. I do not have a timeline for when this will be finished, but it is the main focus of our development for the upcoming year.

Custom 404 pages will be available before the entire website COS rolls out. I can keep this thread updated as to when this is available.

Rachel

• neil silverthornneil silverthorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't get it. A custom 404 error page is obviously in high demand by lots of HubSpot users yet there doesn't seem to be any priority set to address this very basic issue since it was brought up almost 3 years ago. To me its like a common courtesy to provide website visitors with a friendly error message that gets them back to my website rather than bouncing off some other direction. I know we have made amazing progress with HubSpot. I for one appreciate the hard work HubSpot has completed to develop a better CMS system that remains competitive and awesome for inbound marketing. However, this PROBLEM is a good example of customers speaking out for change and not being heard.

HOW / WHY did it ever become a priority to spend time putting together this sounding board of killer ideas to make HubSpot better? Users are limited to 10 votes so we don't carelessly vote for every single great idea that gets posted, yet the users have spoken to make the custom 404 error page happen. I voted 3 times!!

• DennisDennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote from me too! The current 404 is beyond AWFUL.

@Ellie I've been hearing the 'large scale investment' into the CMS, the file manager, little tweaks to basic features and all the jazz that goes with it since I've been a member, which is almost 3 years at this point. I've never gotten a status update or even a ballpark guess as to when we're going to see any sort of CMS update. If I hear one more admin/rep from HubSpot say this I'm going to scream. And a custom 404 page is a feature that shouldn't "go away" despite any future updates to the CMS, there’s always going to be a need for 404 pages, so what's the hold up? This is currently the 12th most popular idea, and also one of the oldest in the top 15. Seems like it's a no brainer to try and get this done....

The addition of a custom 404 page should be a cakewalk. The fact it's being wrapped into this large scale revamping of the CMS (which at this point may or may not ever show up, I'm losing hope fast) is ridiculous. The fact this thread is almost TWO YEARS OLD goes to show HubSpot's lack of commitment into very, very basic features. The brilliant minds on your DEV team can't figure something basic like this out? It's BS. Give me the availability to apply my theme/template to a 404.html or 404.aspx or whatever, and it should be easy as pie to add content to it.

• Henrik ÖquistHenrik Öquist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll just add my support for this. The current 404 is both hideous and unproductive, and it's naturally a very nice touch to be able to customize this.

• Jon FeagainJon Feagain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The though of us having a mistakes is disturbing, but when you couple this with not being about to interact with the end user to fix the problem or justify it it becomes worse.

• Ellie MirmanAdminEllie Mirman (Customer Research, HubSpot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nathan - It's not so much a question of how many votes it will take to get this idea completed. Highly voted ideas get a lot of visibility internally, but there are a number of other factors we also take into account when prioritizing which features get added and when. A classic example of this would be some of the future looking ideas that we've thought of, that customers are unlikely to have envisioned themselves.

In some cases (such as this one), we are in the midst of a large scale investment into the underlying architecture of our content system. We have to be careful about what features we add to the existing system and which features we hold off on until the new system is in place, because we're hesitant to invest our dev team's effort on a system that is likely to go away shortly.

• NathanNathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many votes does an item need to get taken on? 45 seems like a fairly significant amount compared to the other topics I've seen. You'll have to admit its ironic that Hubspot itself blogged about the value of custom 404 pages, and not losing customers to a jarring 404 error, yet we can't even get a basic layout option? :)

How hard would it be for the CMS to allow users to be able to customize the 404 page? Even if you don't have a "search box" just allowing us to add a few sentences, maybe add an image, or any standard modules, etc? You already have a "default" 404.html or 404.php file that is used (it says "REDIRECTING TO HOME PAGE..."), couldn't that file just be shown as another page that we can edit?

• Ellie MirmanAdminEllie Mirman (Customer Research, HubSpot) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi folks - unfortunately there's no status change on this item, it relates to the CMS which is currently being rewritten in pieces (landing pages, blog, etc.). We have seen some ideas, though, that bubble to the top of ideas.hubspot.com that make their way into dev despite other priorities - so keep on voting it up!

• Kyle NicolaKyle Nicola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using Magento along with Hubspot and not having the ability to customize 404 Pages is ridiculous. I don't want to degrade my Magento's 404 page to match hubspot's.

• NathanNathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Hubspot Developers, here's 50 examples of beautiful and original 404 error designs, and why we should be able to customize our own pages!

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/01/29/404-error-pages-one-more-time/

The design of 404 error pages is often overlooked and underestimated. However, designed carefully, these pages can make a random visitor stay on your website, take a look around and eventually find the information he or she was looking for in the first place. Effective 404 error pages communicate why a particular page couldn’t be displayed and what users can do next.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base